Our sustainability work focuses on:
Leading the Change
- Promote and scale innovation
- Drive transparency
- Reward sustainable actions
Circular & Climate Positive
- Take a circular approach to how products are made and used
- Use only recycled or other sustainably sourced materials
- Create a climate-positive value chain
Fair & Equal
- Provide fair jobs for all
- Champion inclusion and diversity
“We want to use our size and scale to lead the change towards circular and climate positive fashion while being a fair and equal company."
Anna Gedda, Head of Sustainability
We have set several ambitious goals for a sustainable fashion future, and will continue to do so. These are the main ones:
By 2025, H&M Group will reduce:
- Electrical intensity (kWh/sqm per opening hour) by 25% (2016 baseline).
- Absolute transport-related emissions by 30% (2018 baseline).
- Source 100% renewable electricity.
- Reduce scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions by 40% (2017 baseline).
- Reduce scope 3 GHG emissions from purchased raw materials, fabric production and garments by 59% per product (2017 baseline).
- Achieve a climate positive value chain — one that creates an overall positive impact on the climate.
- Achieve zero discharge of hazardous chemicals from our textile and leather supply chain.
- Only source 100% sustainable cotton.
- Collect 25,000 tonnes of garments a year through our collection initiatives.
- Only source virgin wool from farms certified to the Responsible Wool Standard (RWS).
- All wood used in our products and packaging will be made of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified materials, or fibres from alternative sources such as agricultural residues and post-consumer textiles.
- To only source from producers of viscose and other MMC fibres that have good environmental practices, such as closed-loop processing of water and chemicals.
- All our animal-based leather will be chrome-free and originate from more responsible sources.
- Only use 100% recycled or other sustainably-sourced materials.
- All packaging designed and produced by the H&M Group will be reusable, recyclable or composted.
- Reduce packaging across our value chain by 25% (compared with 2018 baseline).
- Reuse or recycle 100% of packaging waste from our own sites.
- 100% of our packaging will be made from recycled or other sustainably-sourced material with a preference for recycled materials.
- 100% of the facilities in our own operations will have water-efficient equipment.
- Reduce water usage in production by 25% (2017 baseline).
- Recycle 15% of the total water consumed during production.