At H&M Group, we consider the needs of present and future generations, and are aware that our entire business must be conducted in a way that is economically, socially and environmentally sustainable. This is why we set clear ambitions and bold goals.
Goals and ambition
Our approach to sustainability
- Design all our products for circularity using the Circulator.
- Source 100% renewable electricity in our own operations and tier one and two suppliers.*
- Reduce electrical intensity (kWh/sqm of sales area and opening hour) by 25% (2016 baseline).
- Reduce scope 1, 2 and 3 greenhouse gas emissions by 56% (2019 baseline).**
- Achieve net-zero.
* wherever renewable electricity is available for purchase
** excluding emissions from customers’ use of sold products.
- Achieve toxic free fashion.
By the end of 2025:
- Use 30% recycled materials in our products.
- All polyester used in our products will be 100% recycled.
- All wood used in our products and packaging will be made of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified materials, or fibres from alternative sources such as agricultural residues and post-consumer textiles.
- To only source from producers of viscose and other MMC fibres that have good environmental practices, such as closed-loop processing of water and chemicals.
- All our animal-based leather will be chrome-free.
- All virgin wool and animal hair will come from farms with good animal welfare practices that are certified to a credible standard.*
By the end of 2030:
- Only source 100% recycled or more sustainably-sourced materials.
* By H&M Group approved scheme that both includes animal welfare and land management practices.
- All packaging designed and produced by the H&M Group will be reusable or recyclable.
- Reduce packaging across our value chain by 25% (2018 baseline), including an absolute reduction in plastic packaging of 25% (2018 baseline).
- Reuse or recycle 100% of packaging waste from our own sites.
- Make 100% of our packaging from recycled or other sustainably-sourced material, with a preference for post-consumer recycled materials.
- Reduce water usage in production by 25% (2017 baseline).
- Recycle 15% of the total water consumed during production.